We are not currently accepting applications. Please check this page for updates about open positions. We typically advertise summer positions during February and March.
If you have already submitted an application for Summer 2017, thank you. We will be contacting candidates directly to schedule interviews.
Front-line booksellers are often the first point of contact for customers and therefore are expected to create a friendly, professional, helpful environment on the store floor. They feel comfortable talking about and hand selling a range of books, but often have a specialization in one particular age group or genre.
Primary responsibilities include customer service, point-of-sale transactions, basic merchandising and inventory, maintaining store environment, and participating in store promotional and media materials.
- Customer service includes greeting customers, strong knowledge of store inventory, ability to give expert advice on store inventory, general awareness of publishing industry, hand-selling, assessing customer needs, helpful attitude, research skills, and the perseverance to find a book even when the customer isn’t able to provide a lot of information.
- Point-of-sale transactions include sales, returns, gift card processing, taking special orders and gift-wrapping. The ability to work quickly with minimal mistakes is key.
- Basic merchandising and inventory includes assisting with shelving, re-stock, returns, creating displays, organizing books and non-book merchandise, and yearly inventory.
- Maintaining store environment (floor, back room, foyer, front steps, and outside the back door) includes keeping store environment clean, safe, and comfortable for customers and staff. Duties change throughout the year, but often include vacuuming, dusting, sweeping, snow shoveling (winter), moving or breaking down boxes, cleaning bathroom facilities, trash, and recycling. Maintaining store environment also includes keeping the register area stocked and organized.
- Participating in store promotions and media includes contributions to the newsletter, written reviews, awareness of upcoming events and promotions, and occasional contributions to social media sites.
Strong knowledge of and passion for books.
Basic computer skills, including MSOffice and internet software as well as the ability to learn store Point of Sale system and inventory database (training provided).
Flexibility and willingness to work in a fast-pased retail environment.
Must be available for training.
Must be available to work some evenings and weekends.