Assistant Manager: Operations and Facilities
Full Time, year round
Posted: January 2020
Eight Cousins is a local independent bookstore on Main Street in Falmouth, MA.
Our Mission Statement is: To share a love and appreciation of books and reading with the wider Falmouth community and to support the continued innovative, educational, diverse, and artistic creations of authors, illustrators, editors, publishers, and booksellers.
Enthusiasm for this mission is a must.
Independent bookstores, along with the publishing industry, are rapidly changing, developing, and modernizing.
We are looking for someone to be part of the team who is excited about books and excited about the range of operations required to keep an independent, local bookstore in business.
Eight Cousins benefits for full-time employees include paid sick time and vacation, Simple IRA matching, and staff discount.
We pride ourselves on prioritizing an inclusive, friendly work environment.
Assist the General Manager with consistent and efficient day-to-day operations of the book store. Primary responsibilities include floor manager, operations, and facilities.
Floor Management includes comprehensive understanding of store services and programs, familiarity with store technology (hardware and software), as well as advanced knowledge of all aspects of the bookselling position (customer service, POS, merchandising, maintaining store environment, store promotions and media — see full bookseller job description below). The Assistant Manager will proactively contribute ideas and suggestions to the vision, but also be willing to implement the vision as identified by owners.
Operation and facilities includes knowledge of the physical environment as well as annual, seasonal, monthly maintenance of the retail and work spaces. Maintaining high standards for a safe and clean environment as well as a high functioning operational work space is vital in this position. This position will also oversee supplies including purchasing, stocking, and tracking general, branded, and wrapping supplies.
Secondary responsibilities include being familiar with and able to assist with a range of store operations. The Assistant Manager will be crosse-trained in all departments and meet regularly with the General Manager. Areas of responsibility may change as the business changes. The position will incorporate responsibilities not listed if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
We’re looking for someone who is excited about and values our vision and is able to execute it in both the broad planning as well as the day-to-day details.
The ideal candidate will have :
Experience in at least one of the following industries: bookselling, customer service/retail, or office management.
Strong attention to detail
Strong organization skills
Strong written and verbal communication
Ability to learn and execute a range of tasks
Familiarity with computers and a willingness to learn the business’s IT system as well as its primary software programs (POS, email, internet databases, MS Office).
Problem solving kills
Strategic thinking skills
Passion for books and reading
All employees schedules include evening and/or weekend shifts.
Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bookseller Job Description
Front-line booksellers are often the first point of contact for customers and therefore are expected to create a friendly, professional, helpful environment on the store floor. They feel comfortable talking about and hand selling a range of books and gifts, but often have a specialization in one particular age group or genre.
Primary responsibilities include customer service, point-of-sale transactions, basic merchandising and inventory, maintaining store environment, and participating in store promotional and media materials.
- Customer service includes greeting customers, strong knowledge of store inventory, ability to give expert advice on store inventory, general awareness of publishing industry, hand-selling, assessing customer needs, helpful attitude, research skills, and the perseverance to find a book even when the customer isn’t able to provide a lot of information.
- Point-of-sale transactions include sales, returns, gift card processing, taking special orders, and gift-wrapping. The ability to work quickly with minimal mistakes is key.
- Basic merchandising and inventory includes assisting with shelving, restock, returns, creating displays, organizing book and gift merchandise, and physical inventory.
- Maintaining store environment (floor, back room, foyer, front steps, and outside the back door) includes keeping store environment clean, safe, and comfortable for customers and staff. Duties change throughout the year, but often include vacuuming, dusting, sweeping, snow shoveling (winter), moving or breaking down boxes, cleaning bathroom facilities, trash, and recycling. Maintaining store environment also includes keeping the register area stocked and organized.
- Participating in store promotions and media includes contributions to the newsletter, written reviews, awareness of upcoming events and promotions, and occasional contributions to social media sites.
Strong knowledge of and passion for books.
Strong communication and critical thinking skills.
Basic computer skills, including MSOffice and internet software as well as the ability to learn our store's Point of Sale system and inventory database (training provided).
Flexibility and willingness to work in a fast-paced retail environment.
Must be available for training.
Must be available to work some evenings and weekends.