The Ocean: The Ultimate Handbook of Nautical Knowledge (Hardcover)
The Ocean: A Handbook is a treasure trove of information and inspiration for anyone with an abiding love for the ocean.
This beautiful book features short-subject deep dives on topics like science, sailing, kayaking, surfing, diving, survival, and much more.
From experienced seafarers to ocean novices, for those about to ride their first wave, stand-up paddle on a dive, or identify a bird that landed on the bow, The Ocean is rich with how-to advice and instruction.
• Features expert consultation and entertaining asides about the sea
• Filled with more than 200 informative and evocative illustrations
• A compilation of miscellany and delight for the ocean lover
In The Ocean, a sense of respect and wonder for the ocean come together under a foil-stamped and textured cover.
This handsomely packaged volume is the go-to guide for anyone captivated by the wonder, power, and mystery of the sea.
• An entertaining, authoritative, and captivating guide to all activities involving the sea
• The ultimate gift book for sailors, fishers, surfers, beachcombers, and ocean lovers everywhere
• Perfect for people who live in coastal areas, and love the ocean, sailing, and ships
• Add it to the shelf with books like SAS Survival Handbook by John Wiseman, Dangerous Book for Boys by Conn Iggulden, and Cabin Porn by Beaver Brook
About the Author
Chris Dixon is the author of Ghost Wave and a contributing author of Surfing: 1778–Today, The Big Juice,, and New York Times Best Seller The Southerner's Handbook. His writing has appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, Outside, Popular Mechanics, Garden & Gun, and Men's Health, among others. The founding online editor of Surfer, he once spent a year documenting the life of singer-songwriter Jimmy Buffett. He lives in Charleston, South Carolina, with his family.
Jeremy K. Spencer is an award-winning writer and editor whose work has appeared in publications like Men's Journal, Wired, Vice, The Millions, and Outside, where he was a longtime senior editor. He has edited books for all of the "Big Five" publishing houses, including multiple New York Times Best Sellers. As a creative director, he's helped dozens of top global brands tell their stories. A native of Memphis, he now lives with his family in Portland, Oregon.
"...The Ocean by Chris Dixon and Jeremy Spencer put to paper what it means to respect the ocean and all that happens in it and around it. From the personalities that frame what we think and say about the ocean to the techniques to perform at a high level upon the water to the challenge of doing our part to protect this body that we cherish. As you embrace your love for the ocean, this book and its contributors share their vast experience to help you build upon your overall appreciation for the place that so many of us call home. The Ocean."
- The American Sailing Association
"This impressive volume is a treasure chest of information, inspiration, and wisdom-rich with actual how-to advice as well as with great stories from renowned experts of the sea."