We are no longer accepting applications for Summer 2019 employment. If any other opportunities arise, we will post them on this page. Thank you.
~ Eight Cousins
Information for applications for summer employment:
Accepting applications starting Friday, February 15, 2019
Application deadline is Friday, March 15, 2019
Interviews will be scheduled to take place between Monday, March 25 and Friday, April 5
Skype or Facetime interviews are possible, if you are unable to interview in person.
We do not use an application template.
Applications should include a cover letter and a resume.
Please include anticipated start and end dates in your cover letter.
If you live locally and are available to continue working part-time through the year, please include this information in your cover letter.
Applications may be
1) dropped off in person at Eight Cousins
2) mailed to 189 Main Street, Falmouth, MA 02540
3) emailed to email@example.com
Please review all of the information provided on this website first.
If you have questions that are not answered here, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bookseller Job Description
Front-line booksellers are often the first point of contact for customers and therefore are expected to create a friendly, professional, helpful environment on the store floor. They feel comfortable talking about and hand selling a range of books and gifts, but often have a specialization in one particular age group or genre.
Primary responsibilities include customer service, point-of-sale transactions, basic merchandising and inventory, maintaining store environment, and participating in store promotional and media materials.
- Customer service includes greeting customers, strong knowledge of store inventory, ability to give expert advice on store inventory, general awareness of publishing industry, hand-selling, assessing customer needs, helpful attitude, research skills, and the perseverance to find a book even when the customer isn’t able to provide a lot of information.
- Point-of-sale transactions include sales, returns, gift card processing, taking special orders, and gift-wrapping. The ability to work quickly with minimal mistakes is key.
- Basic merchandising and inventory includes assisting with shelving, restock, returns, creating displays, organizing book and gift merchandise, and physical inventory.
- Maintaining store environment (floor, back room, foyer, front steps, and outside the back door) includes keeping store environment clean, safe, and comfortable for customers and staff. Duties change throughout the year, but often include vacuuming, dusting, sweeping, snow shoveling (winter), moving or breaking down boxes, cleaning bathroom facilities, trash, and recycling. Maintaining store environment also includes keeping the register area stocked and organized.
- Participating in store promotions and media includes contributions to the newsletter, written reviews, awareness of upcoming events and promotions, and occasional contributions to social media sites.
Strong knowledge of and passion for books.
Strong communication and critical thinking skills.
Basic computer skills, including MSOffice and internet software as well as the ability to learn our store's Point of Sale system and inventory database (training provided).
Flexibility and willingness to work in a fast-paced retail environment.
Must be available for training.
Must be available to work some evenings and weekends.
9 am - 9 pm every day