We are not accepting applications at this time. Please check back in early 2022 for information about summer hiring. Thank you!
~ Eight Cousins
Eight Cousins is a local independent bookstore on Main Street in Falmouth, MA.
Our Mission Statement is: To share a love and appreciation of books and reading with the wider Falmouth community and to support the continued innovative, educational, diverse, and artistic creations of authors, illustrators, editors, publishers, and booksellers.
Enthusiasm for this mission is a must.
Independent bookstores, along with the publishing industry, are rapidly changing, developing, and modernizing.
We are looking for people who are passionate about books and community and are excited about the range of operations required to keep an independent local bookstore in business.
We welcome a range of backgrounds and skill sets.
All staff work regular weekend shifts throughout the year as well as some evening shifts when the store is open extended hours in July, August, and December. Flexibility and ability to work during store open hours is a must.
The ideal candidate will be interested in learning a range of positions and will feel comfortable moving from one task to another as needed.
Advancement opportunities are available after training is complete.
Eight Cousins benefits for full time, year round employees include paid vaction, eligibility for Simple IRA, paid sick time, and staff discount.
Eight Cousins benefits for seasonal/part-time employees include paid sick time, flexible hours, and staff discount.
We prioritize an inclusive, respectful work environment.
For all open positions, cover letters and resumes may be
1) dropped off in person at Eight Cousins
2) mailed to 189 Main Street, Falmouth, MA 02540
3) emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
You will be contacted to confirm receipt of application materials.
Please review all of the information provided on this website first.
If you have questions that are not answered here, please email books @ eightcousins . com.
Bookseller Job Description
Front-line booksellers are often the first point of contact for customers and therefore are expected to create a friendly, professional, knowledgable environment on the store floor. They feel comfortable talking about and hand selling a range of books and gifts, but often have a specialization in one particular age group or genre.
Primary responsibilities include customer service, point-of-sale transactions, basic merchandising and inventory, maintaining store environment, and participating in store promotional and media materials.
- Customer service includes greeting customers, strong knowledge of store inventory, ability to give expert advice on store inventory, general awareness of publishing industry, hand-selling, assessing customer needs, helpful attitude, research skills, and the perseverance to find a book even with limited information.
- Point-of-sale transactions include sales, returns, gift card processing, taking special orders, and gift-wrapping. The ability to work quickly with minimal mistakes is key.
- Basic merchandising and inventory includes assisting with shelving, restock, returns, creating displays, organizing book and gift merchandise, and physical inventory.
- Maintaining store environment (floor, back room, foyer, front steps, and outside the back door) includes keeping store environment clean, safe, and comfortable for customers and staff. Duties change throughout the year, but often include vacuuming, dusting, sweeping, snow shoveling (winter), moving or breaking down boxes, cleaning bathroom facilities, trash, and recycling. Maintaining store environment also includes keeping the register area stocked and organized.
- Participating in store promotions and media includes contributions to the newsletter, written reviews, awareness of upcoming events and promotions, and occasional contributions to social media sites.
Strong knowledge of and passion for books and reading.
Strong communication and critical thinking skills.
Basic computer skills, including MS Office and internet software as well as the ability to learn our store's Point of Sale system and inventory database (training provided).
Flexibility and willingness to work in a fast-paced retail environment.
Must be available for training.
Must be available to work some evenings and regular weekend shifts.
If you are interested in being a bookseller at Eight Cousins during the summer, please check this page for openings. We usually post announcements about summer positions in February.
Applicants for seasonal positions: please include approximate start and end dates.