Thank you for your interest in Eight Cousins.
Our deadline for Summer 2018 bookseller applications was on March 18, 2018. If additional bookseller positions become available, we will post them here. We typically open our application process for summer employment in February.
New Position: Inventory Team Leader
Please email a cover letter and a resume to email@example.com.
Your cover letter needs to include available start date.
Interviews will be conducted in person.
We will notify all candidates after the entire interview process is complete.
Eight Cousins is an independently-owned bookstore in Falmouth, MA. We value books, reading, and community engagement. The store is active throughout the year, and we are particularly busy during the Cape Cod summer season (Memorial Day through Labor Day), as well as the winter holiday season (Thanksgiving through New Year’s).
We are looking to fill a new position: Inventory Team Leader. The position is year round, 32-38 hours per week. 20-25 hours per week will be dedicated to overseeing inventory and the remaining hours will be dedicated to bookselling (see Bookseller job description below).
The Inventory Team Leader will work Monday-Friday during our open hours throughout the year.
In the peak seasons (end of June through the beginning of September and 2-3 weeks in late December), the Inventory Team Leader will primarily work evening shifts. The store closes at 9 pm in the summer and 8 pm in the winter.
This position includes personal leave, paid vacation, and a Simple IRA plan.
Please submit a resume and cover letter, including start date.
Direct queries and applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Inventory Team Leader
The Inventory Team Leader oversees book inventory within the store, including receiving, shipping, monitoring overstock, and processing returns.
Receiving responsibilities are the primary portion of this job. Receiving includes processing all books in our inventory system (training provided), sorting and preparing books for shelving, identifying damaged items, claiming damages and shortages, shelving, and filing paperwork. Accuracy is vital in the receiving process.
Shipping includes store inventory returns, customer shipping requests, and mail. Training on shipping programs provided.
Monitoring overstock includes organizing and maintaining book overstock in the office and basement, assisting with restock reports, and maintaining missing inventory reports.
Processing returns includes working with book buyers to identify returns inventory, assembling and shipping returns, and monitoring credit memos.
The Inventory Team Leader position also organizes and files packing slips, invoices, statements, and credit memos and works with the bookkeeper to ensure records are complete and accurate.
An Inventory Team Leader collaborates with and works well with managers, buyers, booksellers, customers, and publishing representatives.
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills
- Knowledge of MS Office (primarily Word and Excel), internet platforms, and email programs
- Ability to learn new computer programs, including store inventory and POS system, and shipping programs
We are willing to train. Inventory experience not required; however, customer service and/or retail experience helpful.
Eight Cousins requirements
- Passion for books, reading, and literacy
- Strong customer service skills
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Team player
- Ability to follow instructions and work within an organizational system
- Willingness to offer suggestions to make our small business and independent bookstore the best that it can be
Bookseller Job Description
Front-line booksellers are often the first point of contact for customers and therefore are expected to create a friendly, professional, helpful environment on the store floor. They feel comfortable talking about and hand selling a range of books and gifts, but often have a specialization in one particular age group or genre.
Primary responsibilities include customer service, point-of-sale transactions, basic merchandising and inventory, maintaining store environment, and participating in store promotional and media materials.
- Customer service includes greeting customers, strong knowledge of store inventory, ability to give expert advice on store inventory, general awareness of publishing industry, hand-selling, assessing customer needs, helpful attitude, research skills, and the perseverance to find a book even when the customer isn’t able to provide a lot of information.
- Point-of-sale transactions include sales, returns, gift card processing, taking special orders, and gift-wrapping. The ability to work quickly with minimal mistakes is key.
- Basic merchandising and inventory includes assisting with shelving, restock, returns, creating displays, organizing book and gift merchandise, and physical inventory.
- Maintaining store environment (floor, back room, foyer, front steps, and outside the back door) includes keeping store environment clean, safe, and comfortable for customers and staff. Duties change throughout the year, but often include vacuuming, dusting, sweeping, snow shoveling (winter), moving or breaking down boxes, cleaning bathroom facilities, trash, and recycling. Maintaining store environment also includes keeping the register area stocked and organized.
- Participating in store promotions and media includes contributions to the newsletter, written reviews, awareness of upcoming events and promotions, and occasional contributions to social media sites.
Strong knowledge of and passion for books.
Basic computer skills, including MSOffice and internet software as well as the ability to learn store Point of Sale system and inventory database (training provided).
Flexibility and willingness to work in a fast-pased retail environment.
Must be available for training.
Must be available to work some evenings and weekends.
9 am - 9 pm every day